system-config-network as non-root

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sat Apr 7 02:09:38 UTC 2007

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007, Tim wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 22:11 +0200, François Patte wrote:
>> I'd like to know if there is a way to allow non root user to use
>> "system-config-network". On a laptop it is quite boring to always
>> become root if you want to use lan interface, wifi interface or ppp
>> interface....
>
> Don't know about with wireless, but there are various GUIs for letting
> users bring some interfaces up and down, as well as command line tools.
> In Gnome, you can edit the main menus, and find "network device control"
> in the system tools section.  There's also a modem lights panel applet
> that lets you bring ppp up and down from the taskbar.

system-control-network is a GNOME gui that allows a user to bring a
network device up or down (if USRCTL=yes), but it does not allow
configuring.  It is accessible from the Network Monitor applet in GNOME.
I believe it is the "netowrk device control" menu entry Tim mentions.

NetworkManager allows users to connect to any wired network that supplies
a DCHP address or any wireless network that the user can access that
supplies a DHCP address.  I believe that dialups can be configured as
well, but I've never done it.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences