Trying to get wireless card to work in FC6

Tod tod at stthomasepc.org
Mon Apr 9 00:15:24 UTC 2007

Mike C wrote:
> kalinix <calin.kalinix.cosma <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Mike,
>>
>> Are you using the default configuration for wpa_supplicant? If yes, you
>> may want to have a look at the configuration file,
>> in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
>>
>> Also, you may want to use wpa_cli (again as root) in order to see
>> whether the wless associates itself correctly (I think it does, but you
>> can double check).
>>
>> And last, you may want to review your firewall configuration, both on
>> your w-less machine and the machine you try to ping.
>
> In fact I am not using wpa_supplicant - this attempt was just using "network"
> (the NetworkManager daemon plus Dispatcher were not running)
>
> I also turned off the firewall on this machine altogether (both ipv4 and 6) and
> it made no difference - and I cannot even ping the wireless router from this
> machine. All other wireless machines here can ping that router (by address). If
> I do ifdown ath0 and ifup eth0 (wired) then I immediately get back to normal
> wired networking.
>
> I also removed the version I had compiled and re-installed kmod-madwifi from
> livna - with exactly the same result.
>
> Will try more avenues (I even tried ndiswrapper from livna but as soon as I
> plugged in my card it hung the entire machine and I could not get out of X, nor
> regain a boot using alt-sysrq-b !)
>
> Mike

Mike,

Just a hunch.  Can you boot with the 2.6.19 kernel if its available on
your box and see if that makes a difference?  Maybe completely
unrelated, but I yum upgraded last week sometime, along with the 2.6.20
kernel, and my IPW2100 card started acting flaky.  When I went back to
the previous version all was well.

I haven't really investigated the problem, just switched back to the
previous kernel to keep moving.  I also just noticed fedora extras has a
package for the ipw2100 that I haven't experimented with so take this
all with a grain of salt.

tOd