getting file sharing and printer sharing to work

Andrew Robinson awrobinson-ml at nc.rr.com
Tue Apr 10 14:32:56 UTC 2007

Scott Berry wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> My father accidentially deleted the lancer for File Sharing off his
> desktop and I want to set up file sharing from a Linux and Windows box.
> Also how would one go about setting up printer sharing?  My father has
> the Hp5500 series with Hplip installed.  Thanks much.

Samba for file sharing to windows clients. NFS for file sharing to Linux
clients. And CUPS for sharing printers. Use the Fedora
'system-config-printer' utility for configuring CUPS on the print
server. That seems to make Fedora a lot happier. And be sure to tell
CUPS about your local network by adding a line like

Allow From 192.168.1.0/24

to the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file on your print server.

HTH,

Andrew Robinson