Adding a Linux printer to Windows XP

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Tue Apr 10 15:29:05 UTC 2007

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> I have even configured my Linux userid/password but the error message I
> get back from Windows is permission denied.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Saw this one just the other day.  Samba did not automatically create the
spool directory.  Then when I created it manually it still wouldn't
write to it, so I made it 777 and it started to work.  Weird.

First off, the default spool directory is: /usr/spool/samba
That is wrong, of course, but there it is.
Second, no indication who should own it.

I found the error in /var/log/messages:

Mar 30 08:33:08 eragon smbd[27923]:   '/usr/spool/samba' does not exist
or permission denied when connecting to [lp] Error was No such file or
directory

Good Luck!