Add/Remove Programs oddity

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 18:52:24 UTC 2007

On 4/10/07, Mark Fraser <fedora at mfraz.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <f84880b00704091400n3b1a47a4r17ee2557ee97aa57 at mail.gmail.com>,
>    Kam Leo <kam.leo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 4/9/07, Mark Fraser <fedora at mfraz.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
> [Snip]
>

> > > In the right hand panel I'm getting:
> > >
> > > KDE (K Desktop Environment)
> > >[snip]
> > > KDE (K Desktop Environment)
> > > Editors
> > >
> > > Does that help?
>
> > Sure does.  Did you happen to upgrade pirut recently?  Perhaps you
> > need to un-install and re-install it.
>
> I haven't purposely upgraded it recently, but as I said in my initial post
> I'm also getting similar problems with Kyum. Which is why I don't think
> it's just a pirut problem, is the data for both of these programs common
> and held somewhere that I can delete?

Both pirut and kyum depend upon yum (yum depends upon rpm) to do the
heavy lifting. Check /etc/yum.conf and the repo files under
/etc/yum.repos.d/ for changes. If you are not familiar with yum do a
"man yum" or "man yum.conf". Another resource is
http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/Yum .

The contents of yum.conf on my system:

# cat /etc/yum.conf
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
keepcache=0
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=redhat-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1
obsoletes=1
gpgcheck=1
plugins=1
metadata_expire=1800

# PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
# in /etc/yum.repos.d