Adding a Linux printer to Windows XP

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Apr 10 23:31:54 UTC 2007

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> What is the name of the printer? I have a LaserJet 6L that I gave
>> the name LaserJet6L in CUPS. Windows XP accesses it using:
>
> The printer queue is "lp".  It is a Samsung CLP-510 color laser.  This
> is the queue that I use from Linux.
>
>> http://192.168.0.9:631/printers/laserjet6l
>
> That's what I'm doing.  I can access the CUPS WWW page from the windows
> machine via this URL in firefox, and I can print a test page from the
> CUPS page, but I cannot get Windows to add a printer which can print
> even a test page to this printer!  The testpage document goes into the
> local windows spool queue, and the status immediately becomes ERROR.
> I have no other info.

Open http://localhost.localdomain:631/admin from the Linux box, and
make sure that "Share published printers connected to this system"
is enabled. I forgot that CUPS is only enabled for the local
machine... Also make sure the printer is published.

>>> Problem #3:  I have a Windows XP Pro running in a VMWare session on my
>>> new laptop.  Since the VMWare network (between VMWare and the laptop) is
>>> on a different subnet from my main home network (bridged by VMWare), how
>>> can I print to this printer from the VMWare session?  I assume that in
>>> addition to the same solution listed above, I'll need to add sufficient
>>> network routing so that my linuxserv machine can see the Windows XP Pro
>>> system and have the right routing in order to get there.  Even if my
>>> laptop is on ethernet or wireless.....
>>>
>> Are you sure you are using bridged mode? I get an IP address in the
>> same subnet, assigned by the DHCP server on my network.
>
> VMWare creates to subnets (I'm on 192.168.6.x, the 2 created networks by
> VMWare are 192.168.38.x (vmnet8) and 192.168.74.x (vmnet1).  Windows XP
> sits on a DHCP address in the 192.168.38.x network.
>
> My laptop has the correct routing table on the Linux side for these
> subnets, and /proc/sys/nt/ipv4/ip_forward is set to 1, so it can forward
> the correct packets to the .38. subnet (if it sees them).  What may not
> be set up is the proper routing on my Linux Server machine to know how
> to get to the .38. subnet from there....  I think I need a static route
> for that, right?  Other packets headed for these subnets gets sent to my
> router which doesn't know squat about them.

That does not sound like the bridged mode to me. That sounds more
like the NAT mode. But I could be wrong. Every time I have set the
bridged mode it has put the hosted secession on the same subnet as
the hosting system...

Mikkel