how to reformat floppies that have data on them

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Thu Apr 12 19:56:00 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 13:43 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Thursday 12 April 2007 01:17, Rick Stevens wrote:

> > > Would one of the mkfs variants work for this?
> >
> > You could try
> >
> >  mkfs -t msdos /dev/fd0
> >  mkdosfs /dev/fd0
>
> Sorry that this problem is dragging on. I tried mkfs, and mkdosfs, but got
> errors again, as with mformat. See below.
>
> root at localhost djmons]# /sbin/mkdosfs -v /dev/fd0
> mkdosfs 2.8 (28 Feb 2001)
> /dev/fd0 has 2 heads and 18 sectors per track,
> logical sector size is 512,
> using 0xf0 media descriptor, with 0 sectors;
> file system has 2 16-bit FATs and 2 sectors per cluster.
> FAT size is -32639 sectors, and provides 32631 clusters.
> Root directory contains 224 slots.
> Volume ID is 461e15e1, no volume label.
> mkdosfs: unable to allocate space for FAT image in memory
> [root at localhost djmons]#
>
> Get the same "unable to allocate space for FAT image in memory" using mkfs,
> and also logwatch gave be a bunch of kernel errors when trying mformat
> yesterday, as below.
>
>  --------------------- Kernel Begin ------------------------
>
> WARNING:  Kernel Errors Present
>    Buffer I/O error on device fd0, l...:  14 Time(s)
>    end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector...:  15 Time(s)
>    floppy0: data CRC error: track 0, head 0...:  18 Time(s)
>    floppy0: data CRC error: track 1, head 0...:  6 Time(s)
>    floppy0: data CRC error: track 2, head 0...:  6 Time(s)
>
>  ---------------------- Kernel End -------------------------
>
> I don't believe there is any problem with mkfs, mkdosfs, or mformat, but
> something is stopping them creating a file system on this low level formatted
> floppy.
>
> Any further ideas folks.
>
> Nigel.
>
> btw. I looked at the other machine, that I thought I could put the firewall
> on, and that won't boot from cdrom either.

I know I am late on this thread, and I didn't read all of it, but I am
curious.  Did you try setting the fdparm first then using fdformat?  I
don't have a floppy in this machine, so I cannot comment on the
applicability of it.  You might also verify what format you disk is
designed to accept.  Some will not do quad density.

Regards,
Les H