Unable to install gcc, installer looking for a older cpp

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Apr 13 20:15:38 UTC 2007

Ravi Malghan wrote:
> I am trying to install gcc from the Fedora 6 DVD. When I click on gcc-4.1.1-30.i386.rpm, I get the message
>
> Missing Dependency: cpp = 4.1.1-30 is needed by package gcc
>
> But I have a cpp which is higher than this
> [root at fedora1 RPMS]# rpmquery cpp
> cpp-4.1.1-51.fc6
>
> I donot want to remove the cpp bcos there are some other applications dependent on it. How do I resolve this?
>
> Thanks
> Ravi

The version of cpp you have does not match the version of gcc you
are trying to install. Your best bet is to download the matching
version of gcc. The easy way - "yum install gcc". The hard way -
downgrade cpp to 4.1.1-30 using the --oldpackage option of RPM to
'upgrade' to the older package.

rpm --oldpackage -Uvh cpp-4.1.1-30.i386.rpm

Mikkel