VMWare Server: No audio device in Windows XP guest

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 10:51:58 UTC 2007

On 13/04/07, Gilboa Davara <gilboad at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 19:46 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > In VMWare Server on my FC6 lappy I cannot get an audio device to work
> > in Windows XP guest. The guest had an audio device under Kubuntu. I
> > did add (in the guest) the drivers for the Creative 16/32 MB sound
> > cards, but that did not help. Where to go from here?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
> >

> One of VMWare's biggest sins is their use of OSS instead of alsa.
> You might want to install the alsa-oss package and start vmware with
> aoss. *
>
> - Gilboa
> * Should work. Been a while since I tried it myself.

Thanks, Gilboa. I installed also-oss from Extras and I wrap VMWare
with it "aoss vmware" but no change, even after resetting the VM. It
seems that windows does not see any audio hardware, and "no audio
device" is the message when I try to configure sound.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/kernel.html
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/585/9811.html