switching off beep for the system[SOLVED] bullshit!

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sun Apr 15 19:06:08 UTC 2007

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> François Patte wrote:
>> Matthew Saltzman a écrit :
>>> Also, at some point I recall having the exact opposite problem.  The
>>> pcspkr module was not loaded by default and I had to add it to
>>> /etc/sysconfig/modules/ to get the beep when I wanted it (note that your
>>> opinion about the usefulness/uselessness of the module is just that:
>>> your opinion).
>>
>> This is not only a "your opinion" problem; I use to work in libraries
>> and I am often disturbed by the stupid music of people opening their
>> windows laptop... I don't want to disturb other people when I open my
>> laptop!

Missed Francois's original reply, so...

That's just rude/thoughtless/ignorant on the part of those people.  You
are to be commended for thinking to mute your speaker, but that's why most
laptops have volume and mute key combos or buttons.  If you want to
"permanently" disable the speaker, you can follow the below instructions,
but if you don't, there are alternatives.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu