script to access partitions only accessable as root

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Mon Apr 16 13:12:35 UTC 2007

On Sunday 15 April 2007 19:31, Peter Larsen wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > What I am looking for is a script that I can run as root, which will
> > mount all the /, and /home partitions which I have already created
> > directories for in /mnt on FC2 for FC1,3,5, and 6.
>
> Put the partitions/mount points in your /etc/fstab and mount -a does
> what you want to happen. It should also help your desktop. Add "user" to
> the options, and non-root users SHOULD be able to mount the partition.
>
> Regards
>    Peter Larsen

This was an error on my part. I used the same layout in fstab, as I use for
mounting FAT paritions. I had a good look at the man page for mount today,
and realised where I'd gone wrong.

FAT
/dev/hdb5     /mnt/hdb5      vfat       auto,umask=0    0 0

ext3
/dev/hdb8    /mnt/hdb8       ext3      defaults               0 0

Now the ext3 partitions open ok from the desktop launcher.

Thanks for all the replies.

Nigel.