FC5 system won't boot after update

John DeDourek dedourek at unb.ca
Tue Apr 17 11:03:15 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 13:19 -0300, John DeDourek wrote:
>
>> Just did a rather massive yum update of an FC5 system.  The update
>> include updating kernel from  .... to 2.6.20-1.2312.fc5
>>

> And if you boot from the old kernel, do things work again?

Actually, my next guess is that I have been bitten by bug
   Bugzilla # 220470
or something related.
It appears that the 2.6.20 series of kernel are trying to
build all drivers as modules rather than building the basic
disk access modules into the kernel source.  This means
that after the kernel boots, something loads these drivers
from the initrd.  On some systems there is a timing issue
because the necessary /proc and/or /sys "files" only
appear after the driver is loaded and initialized and something
may look for these files "too soon".

If removing and reinstalling the kernel doesn't fix the problem,
I will file a Bugzilla report.