Cannot open mms/rstp streams in Mplayer

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 12:12:08 UTC 2007

On 17/04/07, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at panet.co.yu> wrote:
> [...]
> > within the my university. No other checks are made: no UA sniffing.
> > Note that the streams ARE playable in VMWare virtual machines running
> > MS Windows XP.
> >
> > This is the output of Mplayer:
> > [dotancohen at localhost ~]$ mplayer
> > mms://video9.technion.ac.il/Courses/Solid-Mech1/Solid%20Mechanics%201%20-01
> >.wmv MPlayer 1.0rc1-4.1.1 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
> > CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         T7200  @ 2.00GHz (Family: 6,
> [snip]
> >.wmv Resolving video9.technion.ac.il for AF_INET6...
> > Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: video9.technion.ac.il
>
> This part does not matter, since the dns server probably does not have IPv6
> implemented.
>
> > Resolving video9.technion.ac.il for AF_INET...
> > Connecting to server video9.technion.ac.il[132.68.1.27]: 1755...
>
> Dns resolution was successful, server is identified as 132.68.1.27. If you do
> not want to wait for dns resolution, you might want to invoke mplayer as
>
> $ mplayer mms://132.68.1.27/Courses/Solid-Mech1/etc...
>
> > connection timeout
>
> Ok, this is wrong. Mplayer found the server, but failed to connect to it on
> port 1755.
>
> > Connecting to server video9.technion.ac.il[132.68.1.27]: 80...
>
> Then it tries to connect on port 80. I guess that also fails.
>
> > It seems as though it cannot find the server,
>
> As said, it found the server, but could not establish a connection.
>
> > however Windows Media
> > Player 11 in VMWare loads and displays that video just fine. There is
> > no AU sniffing at the server. What might prevent mplayer from
> > connecting? I have SELinux set to permisive, if that's important. I
> > did select to have a firewall when installing FC6, how would I check
> > if that's the problem? I actually don't think that the firewall is the
> > problem as VMWare machine DO connect fine.
>
> Well, I am not sure, but would bet on the firewall. If VMWare has a bridged
> nic, it just *might* be able to go around the firewall (though I somehow
> doubt that). I am not sure as to how vmware bridge-kernel-modules work.
>
> Anyway, you should check (a) if mplayer can play wmv files (download the file
> from the server and play it locally, for example), and (b) your firewall
> settings. You can get a list of open ports on your machine by running
>
> $ nmap localhost
>
> or running nmap <your.ip.address> from another machine. Also, you could
> run
>
> # iptables -L -n
>
> to see actual firewall rules that apply (if you know how to read them). On the
> side note, if you really need to run firewall on your machine, firestarter is
> a nice gui that helps you manage firewall rules without the hassle of
> iptables syntax. It can come handy is situations like this, also because it
> has a realtime preview of all connections coming in and out of your machine,
> so you can easily pinpoint the mplayer communication and the reason for it to

WMV files play fine in mplayer, the wife's friends mail them to us all
the time! I disabled IPv6, restarted, and temporarily disabled the
Fedora firewall with the system-config-network tool. I still cannot
connect:

[dotancohen at localhost ~]$ mplayer
mms://video9.technion.ac.il/Courses/Hedva1/Hedva1-01.wmv
MPlayer 1.0rc1-4.1.1 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         T7200  @ 2.00GHz (Family: 6,
Model: 15, Stepping: 6)
Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0: No such file or directory
Can't init input joystick
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing mms://video9.technion.ac.il/Courses/Hedva1/Hedva1-01.wmv.
STREAM_ASF, URL: mms://video9.technion.ac.il/Courses/Hedva1/Hedva1-01.wmv
Resolving video9.technion.ac.il for AF_INET...
Connecting to server video9.technion.ac.il[132.68.1.27]: 1755...
connection timeout
Resolving video9.technion.ac.il for AF_INET...
Connecting to server video9.technion.ac.il[132.68.1.27]: 80...

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/virus.html
http://dramatherapy.info