Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 15:58:06 UTC 2007

On 17/04/07, Arne Chr. Jorgensen <achrisjo at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,

<snip>

> Microsoft:
>
> When it crashes, you insert the software CD, and
> somehow you will get
> going again.
>
> Fedora&RedHat:
>
> When it crashes, you insert the software CD, but
> instead of
> the situation above, most of your work is lost !

I don't really think this is it.  Whenever I talk with
people about this the two things I hear are:

1. Compatibility; "Everyone else uses Word, so
   I must too."

2. Some feature in an MS or Windows app. that
   they like (track changes in Word is often cited).

For some people you can add games, the belief
that Windows must be better as it's so widely used
and the belief that Linux is hard to use.  Your
example is a specific demonstration of that last
item, and whether it's true or not my experience.
Is that people only try to come up with specifics
when they're trying to justify this general belief.

--
imalone