Why is Fedora a multimedia disaster? - Here is why.

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 09:09:03 UTC 2007

On 17/04/07, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 02:12:24PM -0400, Michael Wiktowy wrote:
> > >ps. Who decided to give video ogg vorbis filenames same extension as
> > >audio ogg vorbis files?
> > >That feels totally wrong to me. That will confuse a lot of people.
> > ogg is just the container format. It is able to contain both video
> > (mainly theora codec) and audio (mainly vorbis codec). It is pretty
> > flexible.
>
> Think of the audio files as movies with no picture. :)

That's a horrible analogy. And should I think of jpegs as movies that
don't contain audio and don't move? Movies and audio files are used
for different purposes, and they go to different output devices
(screen vs speakers).

I agree that the desicion to give both the audio and the video
containers the extensions of the container format was a bad one.
Config files are text files, but they do not end in .txt rather
.config. That is to identify the content, not the container format.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/112/carter_aaron.html
http://what-is-what.com/what_is/fedora_core.html