root disk moves from PATA to SATA

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Wed Apr 18 21:13:41 UTC 2007

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 13 April 2007, Florin Andrei wrote:
>>> As for XP, forget it. Just WipeNReinstall®.
>> That's what I'm afraid of. :-(
>
> Heck, I'd try it first.  What have you to lose?  I've not tried it with XP,
> but previous versions have coped with changed motherboards - I've done it
> more than once.

Yup, I did that. XP won't even start, it reboots the computer immediately.

Anyway, Linux was not happy with the PATA/SATA adapter, only CentOS 4.4
could "see" the PATA drive properly through the adapter, all the other
distros (Fedora 6, Fedora 7 test, Ubuntu 6.06, Ubuntu 7.04 beta,
Knoppix, CentOS 5) failed to initialize the SATA hardware and claimed
there's no hard-drive in the system. I watched the kernel messages while
they were booting up and noticed a bunch of errors when initializing the
first SATA channel.

So I gave up, returned the adapter and purchased a SATA drive. I was
going to need a PATA drive anyway with the old motherboard, for a MythTV
server that I keep planning to build. :-)

P.S.: Looks like it's a good idea to keep a handful of distros in the CD
wallet, you never know when you need a "second opinion" from a different
software.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/