Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Apr 19 01:04:38 UTC 2007

Scott van Looy wrote:
> On Apr 18 Jim Cornette did spake thusly:
>
>> Scott van Looy wrote:
>>
>>> I've never needed to, having been able to rescue windows in all
>>> situations. Plus I partition my disks so all I lose at any one time
>>> is my apps and whatever's sat on my desktop if I do need to do a
>>> complete reformat, something I've only ever needed to do once
>>>

>> How would you repair an XP installation that continuously reboots
>> after installing a USB keyboard and SATA drivers? (It even reboots in
>> safe mode.)
>
> I'd see what the error is.

I could not see the error since it constantly reboots. I did check for
minidumps from the ultimate Microsoft OS (always in automatic reboot
mode) after installing W2k in the same partition. There was no sign of a
"BSOD alternative" for that date. I expected to see a minidump for each
reboot.

> I'd remove all perhipherals and see if it still reboots,

I removed the USB keyboard and went PS2. I could not remove the SATA
drive since the installation was on that disk.

> I'd disable sata/usb in bios and see if it still reboots
> and if even that doesn't work I'd do an in place upgrade using the
> original media

I have no media for the XP version, it was not included. The BIOS
settings might be wort a try. I was just surprised that it worked
alright, then it found new drivers for keyboard and SATA and said I
would need a reboot in order to use the new features. On the reboot it
kept on going like the pink bunny toy for the battery commercial.
(Reboot loop)

I'll check the settings in BIOS and see how it responds with changes to
settings.

>> How would you repair another installation which reboots continuously
>> after selecting chkdsk to check the disk on reboot?
>
> You can get out of the chkdsk by pressing esc, if it's rebooting before
> the chkdsk is happening,

Thanks for the pointer on escaping the chkdsk then reboot over and over
again. I still have this installation to test or can get another
installation where it is easily reproducible to repeat the failure.

> safe mode may work, if not, an in place
> upgrade, again

I hope the esc, safemode, then being able to locate failure messages
works. The only thing I see is preventive measures, do not chkdsk the
systems to prevent warranty and service issues. :-)

Windows is still not my favorite. I prefer Linux. Linux is at least sane.

Jim

--
The way to make a small fortune in the commodities market is to start
with a large fortune.