Saving more than two kernels

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 06:07:27 UTC 2007

On 4/18/07, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Unless some one can tell us which service to restart the
> >> only way I know of for this to take hold and actually work
> >> is to reboot the system.
> >
> > There is no service.  This file is read by yum every time it is run.  If
> > you change it, the next time you run yum, it should pick up the new
> > value.  I routinely change this from 2 to 5 on all of my machines.
>
> Have you ever actually needed to go back to something earlier than the
> kernel you were running when the update picked up the next one?
>
> --
>    Les Mikesell
>     lesmikesell at gmail.com

Yes, kernel-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6 broke PS/2 mouse functionality on some
systems, one of which belonged to me. It took an additional three
updates before an updated kernel was released which fixed the problem
on my system. To date some users report their PS/2 mouse is still
broken.

Since FC5 I have made it a practice of setting "tokeep" to 5. I do not
maintain 5 kernels, but I keep the threshold at 5 for events such as
the one above.