Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Apr 19 06:18:27 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 08:07 +0100, Scott van Looy wrote:
> For other issues:
>
> 1) reboot

Rarely needed on Linux, even for major configuration changes.  Needed
all the time with Windows, repeatedly, and a major waste of time.  A few
seconds of reconfiguring something on Linux becomes minutes on Windows.

> 2) last known good

On Linux, undo the last thing that you did that stuffed things up.  On
Windows, try and undo a swag of unidentified things that stuffed you up,
not really knowing which one it was, and not being able to undo just one
thing.

> 3) safe mode (if it runs in safe mode, try rebooting, sometimes that's
> enough to fix things, sometimes not). Fix the issue there

Turns out "safe mode" isn't really as safe as the name would imply.
You're truly stuffed if you need to boot in safe mode, yet need to use
things that don't work in safe mode (e.g. your network).

> 4) insert Windows CD and let it automatically find and repair windows
> by going through the install wizard until you reach the bit where it
> finds your old copy of windows and can reinstall

Fine, maybe, if the fault is a broken Windows file.  But not if it's a
driver from somewhere else.  You're in wipe out and fix up mode, since
it's damn near impossible to replace just one stuffed up file.

> 5) IF it won't run or won't reinstall correctly, then and ONLY then,
> reinstall

That's not an "if" but a "very often".

> It's easier to fix windows without reinstalling than it is to fix
> fedora
> ;)

Bollocks.

 important to the thread.)