Why is Fedora a multimedia disaster? - Here is why.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Apr 19 07:00:58 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 21:43 +0200, Gérard Milmeister wrote:
> Looking inside a file to determine a mime type is just another hack.
> The only correct way to do it is to attach meta-data to each file
> (using extended attributes, for example). However this would mean
> quite a radical change of how files are created, modified etc.

I think meta data should be in the file, not a separate resource (and
that means *IN* the file, not seeming like its in the file because the
filing system is amalgamating its meta data with the file contents, on
the fly).  It gives you easy tranmission of the file.  And if the meta
data is done sensibly, quick assessment of what the file is.

Of course, as my prior message outlined, it'd have to be done in a
uniform way in the first few bytes of the file.  Otherwise you will bog
down a system trying to represent the contents of a large directory of
files.

The Amiga IFF system was a fairly good example.  You had descriptive
header information in a file, and content, each programatically defined
in a standard manner.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.