Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 13:41:29 UTC 2007

Tomas Larsson wrote:

> I have never been infected with virus, when connecting to the net for the
> first updates, not even when using one of the original pre-SP1 CD's. Not
> even running in front of my firewall.
> Yes I use a firewall, before it was an old AMD-K6 with RH9, now it is an
> P2-400 with FC5, using gShield script.
> I have never used a dedicated firewall, probably by habit, since they were
> so expensive onece upon a time, and a scrap P1-160 with RH7/9 was a cheaper
> solution.
>
> So I simly don't buy that you get infected first time you are connected.

You don't today - or you don't see it because the viruses are more
stealthy and designed to spread slowly and remain undetected while
permitting remote control of the machines to send spam or participate in
an occasional DDOS attack.  A few years back an unprotected, unpatched
box would be hit by something in a couple of minutes on a random
internet address.  The 2003 slammer worm was probably the most dramatic
of the bunch, practically knocking out the internet.  It sent UDP
packets out of RAM as fast as the machine could generate them.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com