Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 15:56:52 UTC 2007

On 19/04/07, Scott van Looy <scott at ethosuk.org.uk> wrote:
> Today Dotan Cohen did spake thusly:
>
> > On 19/04/07, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >> Dotan, my laptop dual-boots with XP.  I have that set up to notify me of
> >> updates, but not install.  I do recall seeing, however, that you can elect
> >> download updates automatically and install later, though I've never tried
> >> that, since I like to read the description of the updates before letting
> >> them
> >> loose :-)
> >>
> >> Anne
> >>

> > That is almost impossible in Israel. Software pirates are rampage
> > here, such that WGA assumes everything is pirate. I do believe that
> > it's area-specific, and with just reason. In any case, on my current
> > Dell I run a cracked XP in a VMWare VM because my legal XP disk won't
> > validate and the cracked one works fine! I've overcome the moral
> > reasons as I HAVE a legal licence.
> >
> > Automatic updates are the only way to update a cracked XP. As for my
> > (past) professor, I will suggest to him non-automatic updates.
>
> Untrue. Firstly, don't use a cracked XP, you're losing out on
> functionality and updates, you're only getting security critical updates.
> Secondly, if you have a valid copy of windows and it's not validating,
> sort it out! It's easy enough to do.

I only use the VM to backup my Dell Axim and test website layout in
IE. I have no need for any more features. Ideally, I'll learn to
integrate KitchenSync with KPIM and be done with that. IE I can test
via IE4Linux (wine).

I cannot sort out the validation issues as I'm running the OEM Windows
in a VM, and Israeli MS doesn't deal with US-purchased products. I had
the lappy sent here, and paid about half of what I would have paid in
Israel.

I stress that I am against software piracy and do not used pirated
software. Nor do I have pirated music/movies. All my software and
media are legal: a rarity in the middle east. The only iffy software
is the cracked XP in the VM, and I stress that I have a valid, legal
Windows licence and that the cracked XP installation is on the
hardware that I purchased with the Windows license. Dell did not sell
my model laptop without forcing the user to purchase Windows as well
when I bought the machine (2006).

> Thirdly, if you want, you can turn off the entire of windows update and
> BITS services, disabling automatic updates and just remember to go here:
>
> http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/
>
> in Firefox (not even any need for IE) to update windows

If I was interested in having an up-to-date installation I would. But
I'm not. Thanks, though, I am familiar with the site.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com/what_is/ntfs.html
http://technology-sleuth.com/long_answer/why_are_internet_greeting_cards_dangerous.html