Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Apr 19 16:03:13 UTC 2007

Scott van Looy wrote:
> Today Dotan Cohen did spake thusly:
>>
>> No cancel button. I even have a screenshot of it doing that to _me_
>> once: about a week before I moved over to Linux for good. I'll gladly
>> send you the screenshot. It's in Hebrew, but you can clearly see there
>> is no Cancel button. And I find it hard to believe that Windows in
>> English has a cancel button when Hebrew does not.
>
> Apparently if you're logged in as a user that's NOT an administrator you
> also get no "cancel" button, which is expected behaviour, but I've never
> seen it. I don't actually know anyone who doesn't run as an
> administrator on anything less than vista, even though it's recommended.

I know several people that do not have the option of running as
administrator. They get their machine pre-configured from the
company and only the IT department can make changes. So not only do
they not have the cancel button, but they can not do the registry
change to prevent the automatic reboot. They have a great incentive
to leave their machine on over night for the monthly updates. It
gets interesting if you are out of town for the updates, as you are
not supposed to leave your laptop connected to the hotel Internet
connection overnight. You also can not make a VPN connection back to
the company network if you are using a WiFi connection. (They have
just added broadband wireless, and that is allowed.)

Mikkel