FC2 to 5 upgrade

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Apr 19 16:07:43 UTC 2007

Travis Bullock wrote:
> Hey,
>
> What kind of disasterous outcome should I expect from sticking my FC5
> cd's into my existing MISSION CRITICAL server and upgrading from FC2 to FC5?
>
> What is the general concensus? Smooth operation?  Or freakin' nightmare?
> Should I jump on board with FC6?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Travis Bullock
> Systems Administrator
> Avmax Group Inc.

I tried and upgrade from FC4 to FC6 and it wasn't pretty.  It worked but
there was a lot of mess to clean up after.  It was easier to do a clean
install.  There are many changes that have occurred and thus won't
update nicely.

As others stated.  Go with Centos if your servers are critical and wait
a month and go to FC7.  Support for FC5 will be ending soon so there
will be no updates and you will be back where you started.

Also, the clean install went much faster than the upgrade.

Also, if the server is really critical, I would look at building a new
server and use the old one as a backup.
--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.