Help disentaggleng clamav-milter milter.conf instructions ??

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Fri Apr 20 01:49:14 UTC 2007

William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I have been chasing this around for most of the day.
>
> I am user: bill on a home desktop system that may connect to another
> Linux box sometime in the near but indefinite future.
>
> I keep getting an error at startup that "user clamilt does not exist",
> even after I have configured user as  'bill' or 'root'.
>
> Milter.conf says:
>
> # Run as a selected user (clamd must be started by root).
> # Default: disabled
> #User clamilt
>
> What does it mean?

It means that your system must have a userid for the name clamilt, as by
default, clamilt will change to this userid after it starts running (so
it doesn't run as root).  You must have a valid userid for this user in
your /etc/passwd file.  If you installed clamilt from an RPM, it should
have created this userid for you.  There are also files and directories
that it must access that need to be accessible to this user.

> Should the user be enabled or disabled ?

The userid shouold exist on your system.  It doesn't matter what the
userid number is (as long as it is unique).

> Who is the selected user? root or bill or clamilt?

see the above, root will start clamilt, then it will change the running
userid to that of the clamilt user.

> If the user should be clamilt, do I have to create a user?

It should have happened as a part of installing from the RPM.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net