rsync and removable devices

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 20 13:42:08 UTC 2007

On Friday 20 April 2007, Dario Lesca wrote:
> Il giorno ven, 20/04/2007 alle 11.51 +0100, Anne Wilson ha scritto:
> > I know where it is, or appears to be, but if, on the command line, you cd
> > to /media, you cannot ls any content there.
>
> from command line you can use 'gnome-mount --help'
> # gnome-mount -d /dev/sda1
>
> or mount the device on a know folder es:
> # mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/mydisk
>
> Create first time the folder's backup:
> # mkdir /mnt/mydisk/backup
>
> then:
>
> # test -d /mnt/mydisk/backup &&
> rsync -avz -H -R /etc /home/user /mnt/mydisk/backup
>
> Hope this help.

Let me explain a bit clearer :-)

I have some large files on this box (FC6) that I need to also have on my
laptop (Mandriva).  Therefore I need to rsync

box > removable drive > laptop.

On both the box and the laptop I can see the files in konqueror - so it is
mounting the drive correctly.  I can move files around manually.  What I
can't do is find an rsync command that will address the removable drive.

Anne