Why is Fedora a multimedia disaster? - Here is why.

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 04:33:43 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 10:10 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Itunes really has the best interface model here: interact only with
>> the internal name for an item and don't ever make the user even know
>> about an underlying file and its name or location.
>
> That's all very well until you *have* to manually manage something, for
> whatever reason, and you have to figure out what file is really involved
> with your song.

That's the point I was trying to make about the application being able
to drop the file anywhere for you if you need it.  You aren't going to
do anything useful with a multimedia file without an application that
knows how to handle it anyway. It's better to build generic file
handling into the specialized multimedia apps than to make all of your
generic file management utilities have to understand the details of all
multimedia files.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com