[FC6 x86_64] X does not start

lanas lanas at securenet.net
Mon Apr 23 18:00:58 UTC 2007

Le Fri, 20 Apr 2007 13:38:16 -0600,
Phil Meyer <pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com> wrote :

> >   Sometimes X will not start on a x86_64 nvidia geforce 6600
> > machine. The system boots to the prompt.  So what I do then is
> > this, as root:
> >
> >   cd /tmp
> >   rm -fr .*
> >   rm -fr *
> >   kdm
> >
> >   Then X starts, as well as KDE.  Some fonts are missing (in
> > emacs), but at least the system works.
> >
> >   Then I reboot and it generally starts OK the next time.
> >
> >   But from time to time, it boots back to the prompt.  It's
> > annoying on the part of a mature system but then I have all my audio
> > tools in there.
> >
> >   If I was to put the above instructions, except from kdm) in the
> > normal boot sequence, where would be the best place amongst the boot

> Check /etc/grub.conf or /boot/grub/grub.conf and remove the graphical
> boot (rhgb) from the kernel line.
> Many video cards have problems switching modes like that.

Experience has shown me that playing accoustic bass guitar while the
machine boots FC6 helps in getting a full boot up to the graphical
login screen.  Coincidence ?

Why is the same machine not having this problem with SuSE 9.3, 10.0,
10.2 in x86_64 mode ? I have the latest nvidia stuff from yum for FC6.
I presume yum has the latest.

> Also, depending upon how you installed it, it may be in run level 3
> when it boots.
> Check /etc/inittab for a line like this:
> id:5:initdefault:
> See the 5 there?  You may have a 3 there.  Change it to 5 if so.

What I don't understand yet, is how FC would change the inittab on the
fly.  Having built and used both at work and at home Linux From Scratch
systems for many years, I think that inittab is just about the first
thing that gets executed once the kernel has booted.

Considering the problem I've described above, I do not see why FC would
change the inittab level for init default.

> or simply reboot.

Welcome, Windows world.