[FC6 x86_64] X does not start

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 25 03:51:32 UTC 2007

Tim:
>> Do they all have the same NVidia code (i.e. from *them* not a
>> repackage)?  Also, do they all have the same X code?  I'd be guessing
>> that there's a few variable factors.

lanas:
> Could very well be.  But then would this be a 'secret' ?

Dunno.  In Fedora, you can install the drivers provided by NVidia
("them"), which is generally considered the bad way to do it, or you can
install the NVidia drivers repackaged by someone else (e.g. Livna), or
you can install the generic NV drivers which don't have any special
features (they'll drive a card, but without accelleration).  I do the
latter, because the others bomb out on me.

What's the driver you're using?

I don't know what the other distros do, but if you're doing different
things in each, there's a fair chance that NVidia drivers are actually
different between them.  Likewise for different versions of X.

> One thing I fear is that one of these days when I erase the contents
> of /tmp in order to reboot in graphical mode (most of the times it
> works but not always - when it doesn't I simply repeat erasing the
> files until it reboots in graphical mode or, I start kdm) is that I
> will forget to do a cd /tmp before.

I've never had to do that.

> If it was possible to squeeze in the bootscripts at the appropriate
> place a script that would simply erase the contents of /tmp

Probably better to do something that erases it during shutdown.  You're
less likely to stuff something up that just made a temp file.  The /tmp
would be cleared out at a proper shutdown, but left alone with a crash.
That might be important if you needed to check something left in there
to diagnose a fault.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.