Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Ingemar Nilsson init at pdc.kth.se
Wed Apr 25 10:58:08 UTC 2007

"Tomas Larsson" <tomas at tlec.se> writes:

> So I simly don't buy that you get infected first time you are connected.

In 2003, I installed Windows XP on my laptop while at home. Since I also
had a redistributable package of SP1 on a CD, I installed that too. I also
installed the McAfee virus scanner.

Since I didn't have an internet connection at home at that time, I chose to
bring it to work to install the latest virus database and Windows
patches. I wasn't aware though how quickly an unprotected Windows computer
would be infected, so I didn't turn on the firewall. I actually didn't even
know Windows XP had one built in.

I connected it in my office and updated the virus scanner. I started
downloading a long list of updates to Windows XP. About 15 to 20 minutes
after I connected it, one of my colleagues comees into my room to tell me
that my computer is spreading worms. At about the same time, the virus
scanner started complaining about a virus infection. I also got a mail from
the incident response team of our site, suggesting that I turn on the
built-in firewall before even connecting it to the 'net.

Since I didn't feel like hunting around Windows for god knows what and how
many viruses and worms, I reinstalled the computer to get rid of it. That
was my last virus infection in Windows.

Regards
Ingemar