Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Scott van Looy scott at ethosuk.org.uk
Thu Apr 26 06:45:43 UTC 2007

On Apr 25 Dotan Cohen did spake thusly:

> On 25 Apr 2007 18:36:01 +0200, Ingemar Nilsson <init at pdc.kth.se> wrote:
>> Scott van Looy <scott at ethosuk.org.uk> writes:
>>
>> > 4) insert Windows CD and let it automatically find and repair windows
>> > by going through the install wizard until you reach the bit where it
>> > finds your old copy of windows and can reinstall
>>
>> How can this work if your binaries are not in their pristine conditions?
>> Such as when you have downloaded updates through Automatic Updates or
>> Windows Update? Wouldn't it result in some files being downgraded to the
>> version found on the install disc, while other files are kept in their
>> updated versions? This sounds like a good recipe for a mess.
>>

> That's exactly what it does. The MS versioning system is, er, lacking.
> Repairing XP brings it back to the install state.

And reinstalling the service packs brings it back up to its better state -
it's meant to be a drastic thing, it shouldn't ever be needed (I've only
needed to do it once in 8 years of 2000/XP - and that was because I
changed the drives I had windows on)

--
Scott van Looy - email:me at ethosuk.org.uk | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003