[Fedora] Re: User creation script

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Fri Apr 27 14:21:26 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> The problem as I see it is to generate passwds automatically. There used
> to be a program mkpasswd that did that but I can't find that now.
    In my case, I had the password and username, I just needed to pass
them.  With the help from another list, I ended up with this.  Since I
was going to pass both the username and password to this script, I just
wrote one bash shell script that took both values and processed them
accordingly:

       cat useradd.sh

       #!/bin/sh
       #
       # This has been simplified.  Adjust to your own needs.
       username=$1
       password=$2
       USHELL=/bin/bash

       crypt=`/path/to/crypt.pl $password`

       /usr/sbin/useradd -d "/home/$username" -p "$crypt" -s $USHELL
"$username";

    And the crypt.pl script looks like this:

       cat crypt.pl

       #!/usr/bin/perl
       use Crypt::Passwd;
       my $salt = join '', ('.', '/', 0..9, 'A'..'Z', 'a'..'z')[rand 64,
rand 64];
       print unix_std_crypt($ARGV[0], "\$1\$$salt\$");

    And while I could've done the whole thing in one perl script, by
splitting them into two pieces, it allows me to re-use the crypt.pl part
in other scripts.

--
W | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.
  Photo Craft Imaging                       .     3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6