Why most run Microsoft, not RedHat

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 14:54:54 UTC 2007

Zoltan Boszormenyi wrote:

>>> Yes, see 3.
>>
>> What would be the point of having a special attribute if programs
>> can just ignore it?
>
> What's the point of having a package manager if you can
> overwrite everything by compiling from source or delete stuff?
>
> What's the point of setting the immutable flag on a binary, doc or data
> file that might - and eventually will - be replaced if you upgrade its
> package?
>
> What's the point of handling Unix/SELinux permissions by rpm
> if you can simply chmod/chown everything?
>
> I ran out of rhetoric questions. :-)

It's all a matter of programmer-vs.-programmer wars to show who is in
control.  You can compare it to the person who thought that the passwd
program should only talk directly to a tty and that programs should not
be able to use it.  That lasted a few months - until another programmer
wanted his program to be able to change passwords and wrote 'expect' to
do it.  A big waste of both people's time...

> But your POV in the question above is wrong.
> The point is to take advantage of something
> where available.

Beg your pardon?  The point of adding the immutable bit was so the file
couldn't be changed by ordinary means. It is, again, a waste of both
parties efforts as soon as someone adds the programming to bypass its
attempt at control.

> Actually, I have another rhetoric
> question to back up my POV: what's the point of
> supporting NX in the newer CPUs when you can
> run the compiled kernel on older system where
> the feature never activates?

For kernel features it isn't a rhetorical question.  The answer is
always that Linus wants it to be that way.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com