Back Again - RPM using a more efficient database format

Luca/Gmail piol.luca at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 07:23:36 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim" <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>
To: "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 7:42 AM
Subject: Re: Back Again - RPM using a more efficient database format

> Sam Varshavchik:
>
> I was under the impression that part of the reason for using something
> SQL based (see listing, below) was to do with it being faster to parse
> than the rather free-for-all structure of an XML file.  Supposedly
> being
> able to use a pre-existing databasing technique, rather than a custom
> job on this special XML?

Hello.

I think XML is practical, let's take a possible example (only an idea):

<package="{name}"
<version="{version}" />
<replace="{package}-{old-version}" />
<reqdep0="{package}-{version}" />
<reqdep1=[...] />
<optdep0="{package}-{version}" />
<optdep1=[...] />
</package>

[reqdep] stands for required dependency
[optdep] stands for optional dependency

Just a simple parse using DOM and using the right way the child elements
should solve everything.
Isn't it more practical and efficient rather than using a SQL based
database?

Regards,
Luca