Back Again

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 1 08:42:17 UTC 2007

>> From what I see yum is doing, it download the primary, the other file,
>> and
> possibly filelists, /every/ time a single package gets added to the
> repository. Even though 99% of the content is the same as before.
>
> This, in my opinion, does not really such an optimum design to me. You
> should /not/ have to download /everything/ every time a single package
> changes.

Out of interest, how are these files downloaded ? Would it be possible
to use something like rsync to avoid downloading the whole file, and
only get the 'bit' that changed ?

For me this is the only bit of yum I still find a little annoying. The
new sqlite format may be bigger, but it is much faster to parse. If the
download time could be improved, then for me yum wouldn't be OK.

Chris