Prevent /u from showing up on users desktops in F7

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Aug 1 08:51:13 UTC 2007

Tim:
>> I'm guessing the /u is a USB-connected external drive?  If so, you might
>> need to play with HAL rules regarding removeable media.  It's a very
>> long time since I've customised such rules, and I don't have any custom
>> ones stored on a current machine, and the methodology has changed since
>> I did it, so you'd be better googling for some help on that.

Darryl:
> Nope :-) /u is a RAID5 (all of /dev/sdb) on an Adaptec 2120S controller
> and really has no business being shown on the desktop. Another filesytem
> on /dev/sda2 (sda is a RAID-1 array also on the 2120S) appears on the
> desktop too which I don't want either. However, /var on /dev/sda3 &
> /home on /dev/sda7 are separate filesystems and neither show up on the
> desktop (which is good) so there has to be a file/table/logic choice
> that the desktop is accessing to decide which filesystems are to appear
> on the desktop.

No doubt you'll find the right keywords to search for, moments before
someone posts the answer.  ;-)  That's the way things work.  I think KDE
had something in their control panel, Gnome's is more obscure, though I
do recall reading something about it in the past.  I just can't recall
what.

>> If you have several you don't want showing, you might find it easiest to
>> just turn off using Nautilus to draw the desktop.  It'll be blank, then,
>> regardless.

> Ok. Blank other than what icons the user or I decide to put on it or
> just blank and no hope of a clickable icon?

I can't recall for certain, I think you'll have to try that out, but I
think it was a genuinely blank desktop, with just a coloured backdrop.

> Is this a global setting or user by user?

The switch I mentioned for it was through gconf-editor, that edits users
individual configurations.

> Ok, I'll just rip through each of users and run that command manually
> for all the time it takes. Any idea where the default settings are kept
> so I can permanently change them?

Probably one of the ~/.gconf* files.  You could change a setting on a
new user, and look for the latest change to their files.  But I think
you're probably better off using that command line than editing those
files directly.  Unless you can find a master setting to put into /etc
regarding it.  For new users, you could probably put some templates
in /etc/skel to preset user options.  But users could, fairly easily,
undo any personal settings.

>> Are you on the CentOS lists, as well?  If you really want to use it, I'd
>> suggest trying to resolve it, there.  Rather than use Fedora when you
>> preferred something else.  It's possible someone might help you work out
>> how to take what's supported in Fedora and do the same on CentOS.

> Not on the CentOS list. Had CentOS 5 worked on the hardware we probably
> would have gone with a RHEL5 subscription but F7 worked (more or less)
> out of the box with the latest PAE kernel now making use of all 4GB of
> memory so it gets the nod.

If you were prepared to pay for RHEL, you might consider e-mailing Red
Hat and saying that you wanted to, save for this problem, asking if they
had a solution.

> Also, love the ballooning theme ;-)

I rather liked the chrome-looking balls of the prior one, it had a bit
of a Christmas decoration look to it.  I think "ballooning" isn't always
a good term regarding computer systems.  ;-)

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-33.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.