Back Again

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 12:48:32 UTC 2007

Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> You have to break the built-in assumption that the newer version of a
> package always carries a later version number. The whole reason for the
> epoch is the automatic assumption regarding version and release numbers.

Wouldn't that mean you'd have to keep and parse all the metatdata for
all versions of packages in a repository which can contain many updates
of every package instead of only considering the highest version package
name when a version number is not specified in the command?

By the way, has anyone examined the mechanisms used by rPath's conary?
I'd expect Erik Troan to know all of RPM's faults.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com