Back Again

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Wed Aug 1 13:10:24 UTC 2007

Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> I don't know if you've ever upgraded Fedora from one release to the next.

I have. Many times.

> The upgrade process is as slow as molasses, even though all the metadata
> is right there.

Does this matter?
There is no law saying you have to sit and watch it.
Why not bake a cake?
After all, it only happens every 3 or 4 months.

I have exactly the opposite view to you.
I regard rpm and yum as the best thing about Fedora.

I find CPUs are getting faster and disks are getting bigger
at a much faster rate than Fedora is increasing in size.

I'm actually more worried that Fedora is getting too complicated,
with far too little thought given to simplification and organization.
(By contrast, the vanilla kernel developers
seem to me to give quite a lot of thought to organizing things better.)

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366