Back Again

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 1 16:12:38 UTC 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Claude Jones <cjones at levitjames.com>
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 1, 2007 10:08:14 AM
Subject: Re: Back Again

On Wednesday August 1 2007 10:22:53 am Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 08:39 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> > and I did notice that their repos tended to lag behind the
> > release curve after some time - security patches would come
> > through, but many other packages would remain with older
> > versions for much longer periods than with other distros.
>
> Didn't Debian always have that reputation?  The normal release
> being somewhat behind the times, but very stable because of
> it.  Those who wanted the lastest, to forgo the ordinary
> release and get their extra bits another way.

I've read that as well, but I've also read that those times have
changed. Debian Etch is their version of testing, if I've got
that right, and that's what MEPIS will be based on.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA

I am no expert, but from what I have learned through the years using Debian based distros/live cd's, Knoppix, Kanotix, DSL, etc.

Debian Woody is older
Debian Etch is the stable branch of Debian
Debian Sid is the testing/unstable branch of Debian.
There's also Debian Lenny

http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-ftparchives.en.html

Other codenames that have been already used are: buzz for release
1.1, rex for release 1.2, bo for releases 1.3.x,
hamm for release 2.0, slink for release 2.1,
potato for release 2.2, woody for release 3.0,
sarge for release 3.1, and etch for release 4.0

Regards,

Antonio