F7: What or who is changing my PCM volume?

With F7 my volume settings for the PCM controls are always at 50% after
a fresh bootup and login to Gnome.  Changing the PCM volume controls to
my preferred level and saving them with alsactl does not help. What
(application) can be the cause of this? I could find any culprit
checking the scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d.

Jurgen