F7: What or who is changing my PCM volume?

Vivek J. Patankar list307 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 19:35:24 UTC 2007

Jurgen Kramer wrote:
> Ah, thanks. I've checked the scripts again. There is only a alsa
> reference in the "halt" script, it calls "/sbin/salsa" (?). In FC6 it
> called alsactl.

salsa seems to be a utility to save and restore alsa control state
during shutdown/startup. No man page. Salsa seems to be independent of
alsactl as saving state with salsa is not the same as with 'alsactl
store'. alsactl stores it's configuration in /etc/asound.state. I'm not
sure where salsa stores it's settings.

Also, I couldn't find any reference to alsactl or salsa being called to
restore sound state in any of the startup scripts. Hence the default
"factory settings" every time you reboot.

> OK, I will add this to my rc.local as a workaround. Really odd that not
> more people have this bug, maybe it is related to the type of soundcard
> in use.

Instead of putting `/sbin/alsactl restore` in rc.local, putting
`/sbin/salsa -r` will restore the settings in place during the last
shutdown. Better, yes?

--
Regards,
विवेक ज. पाटणकर (Vivek J. Patankar)