Xen and NVidia

RavenOak ravenoak at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 19:51:10 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 12:21 -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> On 8/1/07, RavenOak <ravenoak at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm trying to get Xen and the NVidia binary driver to work properly.  3d
> > accel seems very slow.  At the moment I'm using the driver package from
> > FreshRPMS (nvidia-x11-drv-97xx-1.0.9762-4.fc7), and it compiles fine,
> > loads X fine; but when I have Compiz enabled, rendering is *very* slow.
> > The only reason why I'm using 97xx is that the newest driver does not
> > seem to play well with Compiz, it crashes the entire system (thanks
> > NVidia for inserting a display driver directly into the kernel ;) when I
> > attempt to logout or stop Compiz.  Do I need to use the 'nosegneg'
> > work-around for glibc?  Or if newest NVidia driver will work, how do I
> > get around the logout/stop Compiz crash?
> >
> > Any suggestions would be welcome (other than "don't do that..." without
> > proper explanation to back it up).
>
> Per the driver README, Xen is not supported.  I'm a bit puzzled how
> you got as far as you did, as the driver installation should have
> failed as a result of using a Xen enabled kernel.  Also 1.0-9762 isn't
> supported, you should be using 100.14.11.  Sorry

I wouldn't mind using 100.14.11, but it does not play well with Compiz
and crashes the entire system as I described above, unless that has been
resolved recently.  There is a thread on an OpenSUSE list/message board
that describes getting the NVidia driver to compile on a Xen kernel.  In
it, it also further says that Livna has built the fix into their
package.  I am assuming that Matthias did the same for FreshRPMS,
because it works.

While looking for the thread, I found this in the OpenSUSE wiki
( http://en.opensuse.org/Use_Nvidia_driver_with_Xen ).  The driver
version referenced is 9631, and the patch is from www.nvnews.net.  I
know NVidia has been working on Xen compatibility for a while now
(sometime 2005).  BTW, no mention of Xen at all in the 9762 version of
README.txt.

--Tim