Gnome keyboard shortcuts in FC7

Rogue roguexz at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 20:55:50 UTC 2007

Phil Meyer wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>> Tim:

>> Rogue:
>>
>>> I have got the first three working on my D810 and all of them working on
>>> my mom's Inspiron.
>>>
>>> I am not sure about the other keys, but I am guessing that they work
>>> too.
>>>
>>> What issues are you facing?
>>>

>> It doesn't work...  ;-)  (Sorry, couldn't resist)

I was kinda expecting that :-P

>> If you (or anyone else) uses Gnome on FC7, and has these shortcut keys
>> working, can you have a look in the keyboard shortcuts preferences, and
>> tell me whether yours has different shortcut names for the keys
>> associated with the actions.  I'll just list a few.
>>
>> Action                  Shortcut
>> Volume mute             XF86AudioMute
>> Volume down             XF86AudioLowerVolume
>> Volume up               XF86AudioLowerVolume
>> Play (or play/pause)    XF86AudioPlay
>> Skip to previous track  XF86Back
>> Skip to next track      XF86Forward
>>

> Those are not close to what I have.
>
> Did you use: System/Preferences/Personal/Keyboard Shortcuts?
> If you do it that way, it will grab the actual scan code of the keyboard.
>
> This procedure works for all buttons that produce a scan code.
>
> On my Dell Laptop (work bought it for me!)
> Volume Down = 0xae
> Volume Up = 0xb0

Mine look similar. I guess, you might want to know the key code that is
being fired when you actually click on these multimedia keys.

Meaning, when you try to reset the above, do you still see XF86... when
you click on these keys? If you do, then I would suspect that GNOME is
not capturing them. Can't think of a nice way to debug the issue, but
will let you know once I have more information

thanks,
Rogue