Back Again

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Wed Aug 1 23:14:48 UTC 2007

On Thursday 02 August 2007 00:57, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Wednesday August 1 2007 6:00:11 pm Nigel Henry wrote:
> > Etch is the current stable version, and gets security updates.
>
> hmmmmm - so, here you're saying that Etch is now the curent
> stable version

Yes, most definately yes.

> > Lenny is the new testing version, and has replaced Etch, which
> > was the previous testing version.
> >
> > Sid is what you want if you want to work on the cutting edge.
> > there can be many updates each day for Sid, and if you like
> > running a distro on the cutting edge, you have to be prepared
> > to go with the flow. Sometimes things go ok, othertimes it all
> > goes pearshaped. Packages are tried out on Sid, and when they
> > are are considered stable enough, are filtered down to the
> > testing version of Debian, which is now Etch
>
> but a few sentences later, you say "the testing version of
> Debian, which is now Etch" ----
>

> --
> Claude Jones
> Brunswick, MD, USA

Apologies. That was an error. it should have said, packages are tried out on
Sid, and when they are considered stable enough, are filtered down to the
testing version of Debian, which is now Lenny. Repeat, Lenny.

Sorry I've been using Etch for so long on testing, that it's still testing in
my head. Doh.

Nigel.