yum update

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 2 15:17:21 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 09:49 +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
> >     The yum update is a problem now. I let it go to the point where it
> > does what it says it will and I said no! Most of what it wants to do is
> > fine. But it wants to erase my current kernel and install 41 again. I
> > have been through this already today!
>
> AFAIK yum will *never* remove the kernel you are currently running. So
> if by your "current kernel" you mean the one you are using, you are safe
> from that being removed.
>
> Chris

That is hardly likely to be true. What you install is a disk file, what
you are running is in memory. Although, that could be a rule that is
implemented. I just don't know. Does anyone know?

Although, I will admit for reasons to complicated to explain removing
the file that represents the running kernel might get the machine in
trouble under certain circumstances.
In these matters the only certainty is that there is nothing certain. --
Pliny the Elder
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net