Kernels and udev

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Fri Aug 3 15:44:58 UTC 2007

	I am an expert at neither kernel or udev writing, but I do read the man
pages and I think some things need to be said.

	First, udev is instructed by the kernel to write a thing in /dev/. If
this happens then the event can be completed. If the kernel words are
garbled or udev can't read it because it is too new, then udev does nothing.

	I think the interface between udev and the old kernel is just fine and
this is why the USB ports work. I think the new kernel and the present
udev are not talking.

	The fix to this problem is either a rewrite of udev or a rewrite of the
kernel. The fix also needs a person who has hands on experiance with
both the kernel and udev.

	This sounds simple but it is not simple at all.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User