Kernels and udev

I am an expert at neither kernel or udev writing, but I do read the man pages and I think some things need to be said.

First, udev is instructed by the kernel to write a thing in /dev/. If this happens then the event can be completed. If the kernel words are garbled or udev can't read it because it is too new, then udev does nothing.

I think the interface between udev and the old kernel is just fine and this is why the USB ports work. I think the new kernel and the present udev are not talking.

The fix to this problem is either a rewrite of udev or a rewrite of the kernel. The fix also needs a person who has hands on experiance with both the kernel and udev.

	This sounds simple but it is not simple at all.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User