Odd problems with FC6 kernel

alan alan at clueserver.org
Fri Aug 3 21:34:18 UTC 2007

I am not certain if this is a problem with FC6 or my machine.

The machine is a 3ghz Intel hyperthread cpu on an Intel motherboard.

I have a dvd burner on /dev/hda.

After burning dvds for a while, burning will wedge.  There will be a
message in /var/log/messages about a soft lockup on cpu 1.  The system
still runs, but the dvd drive no longer works and I get tons of "drive not
ready" errors until I reboot.

Disabling hyperthread does not help.  i get the same problem on CPU 0 and
the system is MUCH harder to use until I reboot.

Not certain if this is the kernel being wonky or my machine.  Has anyone
seen this?

I have two S-ATA drives and 4 IDE drives on the machine.  The DVD drive is
an IDE drive.  (There were not any SATA burners when I bought the drive.
At least, not where I got it.)

I have also seen problems when there is a lot of drive activity.  Things
slow down a lot.  Much more than they did with earlier kernels.  Part of
this was Beagle.  (Which I removed.)  It wanted to index EVERYTHING.  The
index was 1.7gig.

Ideas?  Should this go into bugzilla?  What other details are needed?

--
"ANSI C says access to the padding fields of a struct is undefined.
ANSI C also says that struct assignment is a memcpy. Therefore struct