VMware install problem.

Claude Jones cjones at levitjames.com
Sat Aug 4 13:53:58 UTC 2007

On Sat August 4 2007, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> I have been foolish enough to upgrade my VMware server release (on FC5) and
> now it won't launch. Seeing the error messages produced I didn't really
> expect it to launch. Please take a look at the attached error message file.
> It looks like the install process doesn't like c++. Is that because I need
> to upgrade the kernel? I am currently on 2.6.18-1.2239.fc5 and the VMware I
> am trying to install is VMware-server-1.0.3-44356 and any-any 113.

Have you applied the any-any patch? Nothing foolish about upgrading -- the
feature set is constantly improving. Those patches are available here:
ftp://platan.vc.cvut.cz/pub/vmware/
It's called vmware-any-any-update113.tar.gz
Just unpack the file somewhere, and run runme.pl as root and follow the
instructions. Someone reported that the 113 patch didn't work with the latest
kernel on his box, and he had to revert to the 112 patch -- you'll have to
google around to find that one, if that happens to you, but it's still
available. Lots of info on this over on the vmware forums by the way. I just
installed the latest server on my F7 box - no problems whatsoever.

I'm not running FC5 so I can't speak to your system. But, the above won't harm
anything so far as everything I've read states.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA