Kickstart file dies at the very end of the "%post" section

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Aug 6 17:54:09 UTC 2007

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 11:23:17AM -0400, Arch Willingham wrote:

> I made a custom kickstart file. It works great until the very end of
> the "%post" section. It does all the stuff I show below until it
> gets to the line that says "cp -f -v /etc/samba/smb.conf
> /etc/samba/smb.bak". I know that line never get executed and the
> line before ("mount testlinux:/nfs/fc7 /mnt/temp") it may not work
> but I have no way of knowing. I do know the line "mkdir -p
> /mnt/temp" works. Also, "mount testlinux:/nfs/fc7 /mnt/temp" works
> from the command line.

I would suspect the mount command. First, anaconda does not run
rpcbind, so you have to fire that up:

service rpcbind start

I mount a directory at installation time which I later use, so in my
kickstart %post section, I add it to fstab, like so:

# Adjust to suit!
echo "charlesc:/crc/isos/f7 /mnt/nfs nfs _netdev,ro 0 0" >> /etc/fstab

Which makes the next line possible:

mount /mnt/nfs

> Does Anaconda/Kickstart write its errors anywhere?

You can specify a log file, e.g. for a non-chroot %post section:

%post --log=/mnt/sysimage/root/post.install.log

If you don't want to go the fstab route, and starting rpcbind doesn't
do it for you, you might specify the file sytem type in the mount command.