To: "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list redhat com>
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2007 4:48 PM
Subject: Re: my hosts file

On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 14:46 -0500, Scott wrote:
i a"aron,

What I am wanting to do here and I hope I have accomplished this here
is
that Pilotalk has the web server, email and it will have bugzill and
also
svn capability on it.  So what I want is the machine to be called
pilotalk.com and the mail server to be mail.pilotalk.com.  With the
router
address of 192.168.1.102 is this going to foul things up or is it
better to
call it 127.0.0.1?  Also in where it says localhost.localdomain can
that
actually be changed to pilotalk.com in the first line of the hosts
file?
Againhere is the current hosts file.

Despite support for your hosts file, to me it is wrong.
The :
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
line is required and you should not muck with it.
Putting the other names and ip addresses in your host files is the way
to go. You can also put a HOSTNAME in the /etc/sysconfig/network
file. However, what you machine will be called when accessed from
another machine is the job of the DNS records on the DNS server you are
using.